תמונות בעמוד

ing up his hand, part of which was seen above the water, Mr. Timothy Jollie came to his help and rescued him.

After he had completed his studies and returned home, he was received into church-fellowship at Northowram, Dec. 30th, 1677. He went to be chaplain to Major Taylor, of Wallingwells, Nottinghamshire, on the borders of Derbyshire, Sept. 9th, 1678, and though this gentleman died March 29th in the next year, Mr. E. Heywood continued tutor and chaplain in the family twenty-two years.

On occasion of this settlement, his father made the following remarks: “My sons are now parted who have lived together as twins. It went sore with them to be separated, but being now grown men they better understand their work and interest, and so are willing to be parted, though with much difficulty and many tears. Blessed be God for this reciprocal working of fraternal love, so that herein that saying is not verified, Fratrum concordia rara est. God has knit their hearts together by nature, and I hope by grace. They are parted that lived as brethren ; and death will part us all. Blessed be God for hopes of a delightful and satisfying meeting in heaven. They are parted; so did I and my dear brother part, though we had lived together at school, at Cambridge, and in one house some time when we were ministers at neighbouring places ; at last we parted almost forty miles distant ; and now we are parted by death, as will be the case with them. O how fresh doth this their parting bring to my remembrance those sad separations of my amiable brother and myself; for I may truly say, our hearts were extraordinarily endeared to each other. But how will our souls be transported at our next meeting! Blessed be God for this hope. My sons are gone from me, but not without my leave and approbation, nay, to my abundant content and satisfaction; it might have been otherwise. They are gone with my blessing and prayers.”

In travelling to his father's house, Jan. 1680, he was suddenly taken ill with ague-fits, at Derby, and was obliged to remain there a short time, before he could be removed. In September also, the same year, he was so ill at Walling-wells, that he was occasionally insensible, and was for a time supposed to be near death.* This illness continued three or four weeks and left him in a very weak state ; but after he had visited his father, he so far recovered as to be able to return to his work in the beginning of December. Still he did not recover his wonted strength, and in September the next year, he had a return of his complaint, though not so severe as the former.

. See page 245.

At the time his father, Mr. 0. Heywood, was a prisoner at York Castle, he heard that his son Eliezer was very ill, so that when he wrote to enquire concerning him, he did not know whether the letter would find him dead or alive; but a few days afterwards he received the following intelligence from his son: “My God hath done great things for me, and I desire to admire and adore him as a God hearing-prayer. He was pleased in a great measure to prevent fears, and though I had the symptoms of a malignant fever, by which many hereabouts have been snatched away, God was pleased of his goodness to direct to means which were successful soon after its beginning, and now, praise be given to his holy name, I am pretty well again, and was yesterday at the funeral of a lusty person who had died of the same disorder. O the distinguishing providences of God! I am not altogether without hope that God may have some work to do by me : blessed be God.

That same day, Nov. 10th, 1685, I was enabled to pay my grateful vows."

During Mr. Eliezer Heywood's residence at Walling-wells, he occasionally preached elsewhere, besides his stated labours in the family, and when King James's declaration for liberty of worship came forth, he desired Presbyterian ordination. According to his wish, he with three others, was ordained at his father's house, June 1st, 1687, concerning which his father thus writes: “I had devoted my two sons, which was my all, to the work of the ministry, and desired nothing else for them but a principle of saving grace, useful gifts to fit them for that high calling, a regular entrance into it, a fit opportunity for faithfully managing it, and success therein. In most of these, God hath answered me according to the desire of my heart. I hope God hath given them grace, competency of gifts, and John a regular entrance into the ministry some years ago. June 1, 1687, my son Eliezer having been examined in all parts of learning, disputing in Latin, &c. was set apart to the ministry, with fasting, and prayer, and imposition of hands, to the great satisfaction of all present. Blessed, blessed be God, that he hath counted me and mine faithful, putting us into the ministry. It is more to me than if they had been made knights or created barons of the realm, with proportionable estates. God is welcome to them, to make what use he pleaseth of them, and though they are yet in gentlemen's houses, as chaplains, yet I humbly hope, and wait, and pray that the Lord will call them forth among his people, and bless their labours to the good of souls."

January 18, 1700, Mr. Eliezer Heywood was married at Hansworth, to Helen, daughter of Mr. John Rotheram, of

Dronfield in Derbyshire. On this occasion, the family at Walling-wells, as a token of their esteem for him, and his long services, made him a very handsome present. He appears to to have continued his connection with this family, after his marriage, two or three years. His first child, called Oliver, was born March 8th, 1701, but lived only six or seven days.* About this time he commenced housekeeping at Carlton, near Walling-wells. He removed to Dronfield, in 1703, or 1704, and preached there to a small congregation till within a short period of his death. He was the father of eight children, some of whom died in infancy. He buried his wife August 26, 1712, having followed to the grave his eldest daughter, only five weeks before. He remained a widower the rest of his days. Mr. E. Heywood died at Dronfield, June 12, 1730, aged seventy-three. The following is a copy of the inscription on a tablet in Dronfield church :


Fide et Vitâ Theologus
(Oliveri Fil: et Johan: Fra: A. M.
Utriusq: ex paternâ et maternâ Gente

Vere Evangelici:)
Moribus sanctis, et pari Modestia Imitandus
Ardentissimoq: Docendi Studio Suspiciendus

Hic Jacet Reconditus.
Obiit A. XII Cal: Junii A. D. MDCCXXX,

Ætat: Suæ LXXIII.
Non ita procul hinc Occubat Helen Uxor
Sui dilectissima VIII. liberorum Mater
Ex eodem Conjugio, ex quibus filius

Unicus et Duæ filiæ superstites. Mr. Eliezer Heywood was succeeded at Dronfield as pastor of the dissenting congregation there, by the Rev. Samuel Shaw, who afterwards removed to Mansfield and died there in 1748. Eliezer Heywood, (the grandson of 0. Heywood,) son of the above, was born at Dronfield, Oct. 8, 1710, and educated by Mr. Wadsworth, dissenting minister at Sheffield. In 1729, he went to London, and was under the tuition of Dr. Ridgley. His father's declining health caused him to leave London in March 1730; he married the daughter of Mr. Shaw, the successor of his father at Dronfield, and succeeded him at Mansfield. He died much respected, July 22, 1783, aged seventythree, having been minister at Mansfield thirty-three years.

Mr. Samuel Heywood, son of the above, town clerk of Nottingham, died greatly lamented, July 25, 1789, aged thirtyfour. Some of the family still survive, and remain at Mansfield justly esteemed.

• See Letters, IV. and V.


In the Pedigree of the Heywood family, it is stated, that Mr. Richard Heywood, son of the Rev. Nathaniel Heywood, of Ormskirk, was of Liverpool, but since that part of the volume went through the Press, the Editor has ascertained that Mr. Richard Heywood removed from Liverpool, and settled at Drogheda in Ireland. During his residence there, he solicited his brother Nathaniel, that he would send over his son Benjamin when he had finished his education, and place him under his care; accordingly he was sent, and became very successful in business; though he was cut off in the prime of life, being only thirty years of age when he died, he left his family in affluent circumstances.

When Mr. Heywood, the ejected minister of Ormskirk, had been arrested by the disease which brought him to the grave, and was on his death bed, he seems to have had no little con. cern for his beloved partner and their children, exposed to the rigours of persecution, (see page 498,) but he was enabled to commit them to the care of Him, who is the father of the fatherless, and the husband of the widow, and was encouraged to hope that the guardianship of heaven would not fail them. And his anticipations appear to have been realized, for the smiles of Providence singularly distinguished his descendants.

For the following Letter the Writer is indebted to J. P. Heywood, of Wakefield, Esq. to whom he takes this opportunity of making grateful acknowledgments for his patronage, and the original documents he has kindly furnished to mature this Publication. Transcript of a Letter from Mr. Richard Heywood,

of Drogheda, to his brother Nathaniel. DEAREST BROTHER, Drogheda, the 1st Feb. 1699.

I received yours of the 27th November; it lay a great while at Liverpool, the wind proving contrary; but it was very welcome when it did come. I make no question but the account of my safety was very grateful to you. I do wish, and am encouraged to hope, that patience under your grievances, accompanied with serious diligence in the performance of your duty in that great work wherein it hath pleased God to give you some success, (which you ought not to be unthankfnl for,) will in the event meet with God's favourable acceptance, and occasion your present and everlasting joy. So, dear brother, go on, maugre all the temptations of the Seducer of mankind, or the doubts of your own mind, which is the frailty of your constitution, and the God of heaven bless you, and all yours in the Lord Jesus Christ. I do desire your favourable construction of my deportment whilst in England, for if I did not express that heartiness of respect, of which I am sure I am truly possessed, (as also being well assured of yours, the occasion was the sad circumstances of sister Park; but now in our letters to each other, and especially in our prayers for each other, let our mutual affection be expressed--and let us still hope in God.

I thank Sister for her kind remembrance, to whom pray make my respects and service acceptable-remember me also to little Benjamin and Natty; I know I need not urge your care about Benjamin, to prepare him with writing a good hand, and learning to cast up accounts well, and improvement in his Latin during his stay with you—nor do I need to mention that which is your chief concern, and which indeed is most requisite, that you endeavour to instil such principles of true religion into his mind, as may be of happy consequence to him in the conduct of temporal affairs, and such as taking early possession of his thoughts, affections and practice, may prevent the vanity of the world, the corruptions of nature, or subtle suggestions of Satan from assaulting him—or prevailing over him—that so, by the grace of God, they may be of important use in reference to his everlasting comfort and salvation. When I would have him come over, I will write ; I suppose in the summer will be most convenient and safe. Excuse

Excuse my tediousness, I am,
Your very affectionate Brother,


Copy of the Presentation of the Vicarage of Ormskirk

to the Rev. NATHANIEL HEYWOOD, a Fac-simile of which taken from the Original is given in this volume.

CHARLOTTE, Countess of Derby, the true and undoubted Patroness of the Vicarage of Ormskirk, in the County Palatine of Lancaster, unto the honourable the Commissioners for appro

« הקודםהמשך »