« הקודםהמשך »
the church under foot, was completed in 1798, when the French army took the pope a prisoner and erected Italy into a republic, since which time the pope has exercised but little or no power over kings or the protestant church, and she is evidently sinking by the weight of her own corruptions.
20. It is very evident that the sixth trumpet has sounded and the 391 years will be completed in 1839, when the seventh trumpet will begin to sound, and the mystery of God will be finished, all that he hath declared to his servants the prophets. If the fall of the eastern empire at Constantinople was included in the sixth trumpet, which all the principal commentators whom I have consulted agree in, and that trumpet was prepared to sound an hour, a day, a month, and a year, which makes, according to the reckoning of time in John's prophecy, 391 years and 15 days, then the sixth trumpet is almost finished. The whole appearance strengthens this exposition of the text, for the power of the Turks has diminished more rapidly within fifteen years than any politician however anxious he could have been for the event, could have anticipated.
21. The opening of the sixth seal, revealed in the 6th and 7th chapters of Revelation, was opened in the French Revolution, and carries us through a sealing time unto the opening of the seventh seal, which ushers us before the judgment seat of God. No one can deny but that since the Revolution in France, a sealing time has passed ; many have been born into the spiritual kindom of Christ, more than has ever been known in the same period of time since the apostle's days. This seal, then, is evidently opened, and is a strong evidence that the book of life will soon bé opened, and the dead will be judged out of the things written in the books.
22. The sixth vial was poured out about the year 1822, when the Ottoman power began to be dried up. This is an important sign that we are on the brink of the judgment day. Rev. xvi. 12, " And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and the waters thereof were dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared." This preparation is for the last great battle, which will take place at the pouring out of the seventh' vial, in the year 1839 or 40. At the pouring out of the seventh vial à voice from the throne will pronounce the word il is done. The kingdoms of the carth and gov.
ernments of the world will be carried away and their places not found. Every writer of any note will and have applied this vial to the Turkish government, and of course must acknowledge that this vial is poured out, for the power of the Turkish government is but little more than a name, and the strength of the Ottoman power dried up.
23. The two days which Hosea speaks of, and Christ declares he will heal and bind up, that Daniel's fourth kingdom will tear and wound the people of God, meaning the Roman two days, meaning two thousond years, will be accomplished in the year 1843, as we have shown you in our Lecture on that passage, Hosea vi. 143. The evidence of the Roman government now being in existence is very conclusive. The kingdoms, or ten horns, into which Rome was divided at the fall of the western empire, are all in existence except the three which were swallowed up by the little horn. And the little horn, although much of her power is taken away, yet she is reserved to be destroyed by the brightness of Christ's coming. And it is a remarkable circumstance that these seven kingdoms are yet standing almost in the same situation they were when first divided, although revolution after revolution has passed over the western empire, yet they have stood shock after shock for more than thirteen centuries. This is strong evidence that this Roman government will exist under the little horn and the remaining seven kingdoms, until the 2000 years are fulfilled, which will be in A. D. 1843. For beginning the Roman kingdom, when Rome became masters over the Grecian empire, and became connected with the Jews by league, drove the Grecian army from before Jerusalem, in the year 158 B. C. would end at the same time in the year 1843 in which it began in the year 158 B. C. being two days or two thousand years, the third day the people of God would live in his sight, or live and reign with Christ a thousend years. And as Christ says in Luke, they should be perfected.
24. Another evidence is Daniel's resurrection at the end of the 1335 days. This evidence is very plain and evident, for Daniel says, xii, 11-13, “And from the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days. This cannot be the Jewish sacrifice ; for if so then it must have been sulfilled about five hundred years past, and as no event took place then which
would warrant us in so understanding it, I can see no rational objection to understand this daily sacrifice to mean pagan rites and sacrifices, which was the original beast of which the abomination of desolation was only an image, and as I have shown in a former lecture was to continue six hundred and sixty-six years; and as Paul tells us that when he was taken out of the way the man of sin would be revealed, agreeing in language with Daniel. I think the proof is strong that from the taking away of pagan worship A. D. 508, to the end of the papal civil power, would be 1290 years, which would end in the year 1798, and thus agree with all of John's numbers in Revelation. And then Daniel says, or the angel to Daniel, “Blessed is he that waiteth and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days.” Thus add 1335 to 508 will bring us down to the year A. D. 1843. “But go thou thy way tilt the end be, for thou shalt rest and stand in thy lot at the end of the days.” And “Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection.” Then Daniel will stand in bis lot, and Job will stand on the earth in the latter day.
25. Daniel's vision of 2300 days long. I have in some former lectures shown clearly that Daniel's vision concerning the four great monarchies which were or were to come, included the whole history of the world so far as God saw fit to reveal it, down to the judgment day and the coming of the Son of man in the clouds. I then showed that the question was asked how long should be this vision? The answer was given_2300 days. I then proved that days were to be counted years, by the command of God, by the example of Jacob, and by the fulfilment of a part of the vision. ' I then showed you when this vision began by the angel Gabriel's own declaration, who was commanded to instruct Daniel into the vision. According to this instruction I showed you that 490 years were accomplished of this vision, to a day, at the crucifixion of Christ, both events happening on the 12th day of the first month, 490 years apart. And then I inquired that if 490 years of 2300 was fulfilled when our Saviour was crucified, how much of the vision remained after his death? I answered 1810 years. I then inquired what year after his birth that would be? and the answer was in the year 1843. I then begged the privilege, and do now, for any person to show me any failure of proof on this point, or where possibly according to scripture there may be a failure in the calculation I liave
made on this vision? I have not yet, by seventeen years study, been able to discover where I might fail.
Therefore, my dear hearer, I shall now with a few closing remarks, leave you to your own reflections.
The Jews had 21 signs in the scriptures given them of the first coming and person of Jesus Christ, yet many rejected him as an impostor. You say if you had lived in that day you would have believed, and you in your hearts condemn them as a hardened race of unbelievers, and notwithstanding their great pretence to piety, you say they were justly denounced by our Saviour as a generation of vipers and a band of hypocrites. But, my hearers, be careful your own hearts do not condemn you for your unbelief in the signs which the prophets, Christ and the apostles have given you as tokens of his second coming and the judgment day. I have brought from the word of God twenty-five signs of his second coming, and of the world and judgment day, and all apparently fulfilled within the age of many present, or fulfilling now before your eyes. And do you believe? Many of you profess to be pious ; many of you say Lord, Lord ! But do you believe his word? Are you willing to risk your life, your character, your all, on his word? or are you fearful and unbelieving? Now is a time to try men's souls. Now if you wish to be sure, examine closely and see whether your faith will stand in the day of trial which is coming ; yes, has already come, in a thousand ways to draw you from the gospel of Christ to another new gospel, which is not the gospel of God. “ Can ye not discern the signs of the times?" Let me give you one rule by which you may know a false doctrine. They may have many good things in their creeds, they may be very plausible in their arguments, and after alí deceive you. But examine them closely and you will find they will deny, ridicule, or try to do away some prominent doctrine of the bible, such as the divinity of Christ, his second coming, office of the holy spirit, eternal punishment, doctrine of grace, election, conviction for sin, regeneration, repentance, or faith. And when you hear or see them make light or scoff at any thing of this kind in the word of God, go not after them, nor bid them God speed. “Can ye not discern the signs of the times ?”
And to you, impenitent friend, God has at all times giv. en you warning of his approaching judgments. If you repent, believe his word, and break off your sins by right
56, 11th 59, 3d
ERRATA. On page 13, 14th line from top for "agress" read agrees. do
do bottom,'for "carls” read calls. dio
do top, for "digmver" read decemvir. do 65, 13th do
bottom, for "least" read last. do 139, 11th
top, for "hast not made" &c. read hast made, &c. do 163, 13th
top, for "into being written,” &c. rcad not being written. do 180, 14th
do bottom for "least" read last.
do top, for "pentetost" read pentecost.
do bottom, for “writers' read writer.
do top, read for they are the spirits, &c. 222, 17th
do top, for "and" read end.