« הקודםהמשך »
31. And when Jesus had 31 So the devils commanded the Devils to
If thou cast us out, come out of the Men, they fuffer us to go away begged leave of him to into the herd of enter into the Herd of swine. Swine.
32. And he * gave them 32 And he said leave. And they came out when they were come
unto them, Go. And of the Men, and entred in: out, they went into to the Swine ; and all the the herd of swine :
the Swine ran headlong imme. and behold ,
whole herd of swine diately down a Precipice
ran violently down a into the Lake, and were steep place into the drowned.
sea, and perished in
the waters. 33. At which the Keep
33 And they that ers of the Swine, greatly kept them fled, and terrified, fled presently into went their ways into the City, and told what the city, and told emisfortune had befel their very thing; and
what was befallen to Swine, and how the two the possessed of the possessed Men were sudden devils. ly cured and restored to their right Minds.
* Whether our Saviour permitted this, to shew the great power of evil Spirits, and how terrible the effects of their Malice would be upon Men, if they were not re1trained by God : Or whether it was to punish the GergeSenes for keeping these Bealts, which were a Snare and of. fence to the Jews, their Flesh not being permitted to be eaten : Or, for whatever other wife Reason it was : Certain it is, that this is the only Miracle our Savioli wrought, where by any Man suffered damage.
34. And behold,
34. Whereupon almost the whole city came all the Men of the City out to meet Jesus, and when they saw
came out to see Jesus; and him, they befought being more terrified with him that he would the Power of Jesus, and depart out of their vexed at the loss of the coafts.
Swine, than pleased with his Goodness in the Prefervation of the Men, they desired him to depart out of their Country.
CHA P. IX.
Esus perceiving hereby. 'A
ND he entred
into a fhip, their disposition of
and passed over, and Mind, and their unprepa- came into his own redness to receive his Do. city. Arine, went again into the Boat, and crossed over the Lake, and returned into his own City Capernaum.
2. And while he was 2 And behold, there, they brought to him they brought to him
a man fick of the a Man so ill of the Palsie, palfie,lying on a bed: that he was forced to be and Jesus seeing their carried upon a Bed. To faith, said unto the whom Jesus,perceiving both fick of the pallie,
Son, be of good his and his Friends Faith cheer, thy fins be by their Diligence to get forgiven thee. to him through the Crowd, said ; Son, be of good Courage; your Sins, which were the cause of your Disease, are forgiven.
3. At this Saying, many 3 And behold, of the Jewish Doctors who certain of the scribes
said within themwere present, were greatly felves, This man offended in their minds, and blafphemeth. faid within themselves What a Blasphemer is this Man, to undertake to for
give Sins, which no one but God alone has Authority
to do! 4 And Jesus know
4. But Jesus perceiving ing their thoughts, their Thoughts, said ; Why faid Wherefore think ye evil in your are ye thus disturbed at my hearts ?
Words? and why do you reason thus perversely and enviously in your own
Minds ? 5 For whether is 5. For what great Dif
to say, Thy ference is there between forfins be forgiven thee? giving the Man's Sins, and or to say, Arise and walk ?
healing his Disease? Or, what less Power and Authority does it require, to heal the Disease which is the Consequence of his Sins, than to forgive the Sins which were the Cause of his
Disease ? 6 But that ye
6. But I expressed my may know that the self thus, that ye might see Son of man hath that the Messiah has Power power on earth to forgive fins, ( then upon Earth to forgive, Sins; faith he to the fick God confirming my Sentence of the palfie) Arise, of Absolution, by the visitake up thy bed, and ble Miracle of healing the go unto thine house.
Man's Disease. Then Jesus turning himself to the fick Man, said ; Arise, take up your Bed, and go home.
7. And the Man was 7 And he arose, immediately healed, and the and departed to his
house. use of his Limbs returned to him entirely ; so that he took up his Bed, and carried it home.
8. And the Multitude be 8 But when the ing convinced by so unde- multitude saw it,they niable a Miracle, of the Di. marvelled, and glo
rified God, which vine Power residing in had given such powChrist, glorified God for ha- er unto men. ving sent to them a Prophet endued with such extraordinary Authority.
9. | After this, Jesus 9 And as Jesus departed from Capernaum, passed forth from and went towards the Lake; thence, he saw a man
named Matthew, fitand as he was in the way, ting at the receit of he saw a Man, named Mat. custom: and he faith thew, fitting at the Custom- unto him,Follow me. House, or Tax. gatherers followed him.
And he arose, and Stall,receiving Tribute. And Jesus said to him, Follow
and the Man without delay left his business, and followed him.
10. And he invited Jesus 10 And it came home with him to his to pass,as Jefus sat ati House : And when they sat behold , many pub
meat in the house, down to Meat, many Tax- licans and sinners gatherers, who were Men came and sat down
with him and his hateful to the Jews; and
disciples. many finful Men of their