« הקודםהמשך »
up the Sepulchre. But when they came to the place, they found a great Trembling of the Earth, and Commotion : For an Angel had rolled away the Stone from the Mouth of the Sepulchre, and the Women saw the Angel fitting upon the Stone. 3. The Face of the 3 His counteñance
was like lightning, Angel was like the bright and his rament white shining of Lightning, and as Snow. his Garments were White and Glittering as the very Snow. The Soldiers also, him the keepers did
4 And for fear of that were set to watch the shake, and became Sepulchre, saw the Angel, as dead men. and were affrighted almost to Death at that wonderful light. 5. But the Angel spake answered and said
5 And the angei to the Women, and said; unto the women, fear Be not ye frighted liké not ye: for I know these Men: I know that which was crucified ye are come with a good intention, to seek for Jesus that was crucified.
6. He is not here, Dead for he is risen, as he as ye expect; but is risen said: come, see the again, according as he fore the place where the
Lord lay. told to his Disciples: And
6 He is not here:
* with these Words the Angel rose up, and going into the Sepulchre before the Women, (who yet look’d forrowful and doubting,) he stood by the place where Jesus had laid, and said; Come, see the place where the
Lord lay. 7 And go quickly
7. And go quickly, and and tell his disciples that he is risen from tell his Disciples that he is the dead : and be- risen from the Dead : hold he goeth before Moreover he himself will you into Galilee, there shall ye fee go before you into Galilee, him, lo, I have told and ye shall see him there: you.
Observe that I have now foretold it you; and when it comes to pass, be not
faithless but believing. 8 And they de
8. Then the Women the fepulchre, with departing from the Sepulfear and great joy, chre, and rejoicing at the and did run to bring News they had heard; yet his disciples word.
frighted at the appearance of the Angel, and scarce
* This conje&ture, tho'I have not yet seen it taken notice of by any Commentator, seems to be very agreeable to the Words, Afute, idete, and plainly reconciles what St. Fohn relates; Fohn 20..12: This being one of the two Angels there mentioned.
believing what they had
9. And as they were 9 (And as they going, Jesus himself met 'went to tell his disthein and Saluted them. ciples, behold, Jesus
met them , saying, At first they knew him All hail. And they not; but when he had came, and held him made himself known to worshipped him.
by the feet, and them, they fell down before him and held him by the feet, and Adored him.
10. Then Jesus bad 10 Then said Je. them, not be afraid ; But fus unto them, Be go, faith he, and bid my my brethren that
not afraid : go tell Disciples, my Brethren, they go into Galilee, go into Galilee, and there and there shall they they fhall fee me. IJ. Now when the
II ( Now when Women were gone from they were going,
behold some of the the Sepulchre, some of watch came into the the Soldiers that Watched, city, and shewed unwent
into the City, all the things that and gave
the Chief Priests were done. a
particular Account how they were frighted with an Earthquake and an Apparition, and how the Sepulchre was open'd and the Body gone. The Providence of God fo ordering Matters, that even the greatest
Enemies of Chrift should themselves be forced to bear Testimony to the Truth of his Resur
rection. 12 And when they
12 13. But the were assembled with the elders, and had Chief Priests, and Elders taken counsel, they being now hardged begave large, mony yond measure in their
i3 Saying, Say obstinacy, and having ye. His disciples gone on in this Wickcame by night, and edness too far to Re
away while we flept.
called a Council; and instead of being Convinced and brought to Repentance by this nndeniable Evidence, they on the contrary came to a Resom lution to Bribe the Soldiers with a large Sum of Mony; to report it about, that while they were asleep, the Disciples stole away the Body
in the Night. 14 And if this
14. And they Procome to the gover mised the Soldiers, that nor's ears,
We will perfwade him, and if the Governour should fecure you. hear of this
thing, and call them to an Account for their Negligence
and ill Performance Cc
of their Duty; they would undertake to pacify him, and engage to bear them harmless. 15. Accordingly the 15 So they took
the mony, and did Soldiers, taking the Mony, as they were taught: obey'd their instructions; and this saying is and the report of Jesus's commonly reported
the Jews Body being stolen by the untill this day. Disciples, was entertain'd by the Unbelieving Jews, and long continu'd among them.
16. In the mean time 16 (Tben the ele. the Eleven Apostles went
ven disciples went into Galilee, to a Moun- away into Galilee
mountain tain where Jesus had ap- where Jesus had appointed to meet them. pointed them. 17. And there they saw
17 And when him, and knew him, and they saw him, they
: were fully Convinced of worshipped him
but some doubted. the Truth of his Resurrection, and Worshipped him: Only some few had ftill doubts and scruples remaining in their minds. 18. But Jefus after
18 And Jesus
came, and spake wards appeared frequent unto them, saying, ly to them, and
All power is given all of them full satisfacti- and in earth.
unto me in heaven on, and Instructed them in many things relating to the Preaching of the Gospel, and the establish