« הקודםהמשך »
46. Come, rise, let us 46 Rise, let us be go; he that betrays me, is going; behold, he
is at hand that doth juft upon us.
betray me. 47. Scarce had Jesus 47 | And while he said these Words, when one of the twelve
yet spake, lo Judas suddenly Judas appeared, came, and with him conducting a great number a great multitude of Officers Armed with faves from the chief Swords and Staves, who priests and elders of
the people. were sent from the chief Priests and Elders to seize Jesus in his private Retirement, Judas having undertaken to be their guide.
48. Now because the 48 Now he that Officers did not know betrayed him, gave.
them a fign, saying, Jesus's Face, and it was also Whomsoever I shall Night; therefore, that kiss, that fame is they might not mistake the he, hold him faft. Person, Judas had given them a Token, that when he came at Jefus, he would Salute him with a Kiss; by which sign they should know him, and not fail to apprehend and secure him.
49. Coming up there 49 And forthwith fore to Jesus, he according said, Hail Mafter;
he came to Jesus,and to the appointed Signal,Sa- and kissed him. luted and killed him.
· 50 And Jesus said 50. Jesus, knowing his unto him, Friendi Design, reproved his Income? Then came gratitude with this gentle, on Jesus; and took yet severe Rebuke; Friend
wherefore come you attended in this manner ? But while he was speaking; the Officers seized him, and began to carry him
away. si And behold,
51. Then Peter, seeing one of then that were with Jesus, to what extremity things ftretched out his tended ; out of great zeal hand, and drew his for his Masters fafety drew Sword, and stroke a servant of the high his Sword, and striking at priests, and smote off
one of the High Priests Servants, cut off a piece of
his ear: 52 Then said je
52. But Jesus forbad sus unto him, Put him to make use of his up again thy sword into its place : for all Sword, saying; These are they that take the not the Weapons which sword, shall perish with tlie sword: my Disciples must use:
They who are impatient and passionate, and ready upon every Provocation to run to the Sword, shall themselves be liable to perish by the Sword. Our part is to overcome, not by fighting, but by Patience and Suffering.
53. Otherwise, If I 53 Thinkeft thou had designed to resist these that I cannot now
pray to my Father, Men, and wanted assistance and he shall present to Conquer them, do you than twelve legions not think I could easily of angels? have pray'd to God, (and can even get do it, if I thought it Expedient) and he would presently have sent me an Army of Angels to destroy them? 54. But how then
54 But how then should the will of God shall the scriptures
be fulfilled, that thus and the Predictions of the it must be? Prophets have been fulfilled ? For God sent me into the World, to Suffer and Die, and the Prophets have foretold, that I should do so; and all these things must needs be accomplished.
55. Then Jesus turn 55 And in that ing himself to the Mul. fame hour faid Jesus
to the multitudes, titude, said; What makes Are ye come out you come out against as against a thief
with swords and me in the Night, with ftaves to take me? a Band of Soldiers, Arm- I sat daily with you ed with Swords and
teaching in the temple, and
laid no Clubs, as if ye came to hold on me. apprehend a Robber that would make strong Resistance? Did I not. every
Day sit openly Teaching in the Temple, and ye might have taken me when you pleased, if you had had any great Crime to lay to my Charge?
56. But now it is the 56 But all this was done, that the Time, wherein the Infcriptures of the finite Wisdom of God prophets might be fulfilled. Then all has appointed me to Suf. the disciples forsook fer; and all these things him, and Hed.
ought thus to come to pass, that the Scriptures might be fulfilled. Then all the Disciples, seeing there was no Remedy, and that Jefus himself would not suffer them to try to Rescue him,
forsook him and fled. $7 And they that had laid hold on had' apprehended Jesus,
57. T Now they that Jesus, led him away to Caiaphas the high carried him to Caiaphas priest ; where the the Higli Priest, in whose fcribes and the elders were assembled.
House the Council of the Scribes and Elders were ready gathered together.
+ réyove, which we render was done, may as proper ly be rendered is done : And then these will be the Words, not of the Evangelist, but of Christ; See. Luc. 22. 53. But the Sense is the same either way.
A a 2
58. And Peter, having 58 But Peter folrecouered his Fear a little, unto the high priefts
lowed him afar off, and taken Courage; fol- palace, and went in, lowed them at a Distance and fat with the ser
vants to see the end. to Caiaphas's his Palace, and went in after them, and sat down among the Servants, to see what the Event of this thing would be. 59. Then the Council,
59 Now the chief having gotten Jesus in priests and elders, their Power, fought for and all the council all the Witnesses against against Jesus to put him that they could; him to death. and like malicious Infor
rather than just Judges, contrived so to Examin them, as to urge them, if possible, to testify some thing against him, which they might judge to be a
Crime worthy of Death. 60. But none Witnef
found sed so much against him,
none: yea, though
many false Winefies as was sufficient to Con- came, yet found they demn him: Nay, tho' none.
came two false witmany
False Witnesses were nesses. Suborned on purpose, yet could not they Convict him of any Capital Crime.
At the last