« הקודםהמשך »
it?Which when they own
21 They say into ed to be Cæfar’s, Jesus re- faith he unto them,
him, Cæfars. Then plied; Then ought ye to Render therefore ungive to Cæfar, what ye ac- to Cæfar, the things knowledge to belong to and unto God the him; and fo far submit things that are Gods. your felves to the Government ye are under, as
is consistent with Religion and the Law of God. 22. Hereupon they heard these words,
22 When they had departed from him, they marvelled, and admiring the Prudence left him, and went
23. Presently after
23 The fame the Sadducees, who believed day came to him that + the Soul of Man say that there is no
the Sadducees, which + See FoSephus of perishes at Death, and that resurrection , the Fewish there is no Resurrection asked him. Wars, lib. 1.C.22. nor Future State of Re
wards and Punishments in
24 Saying, Mafter,
24. Mafter; Mofes com. Mofes said, If a man die, having no chil- manded, that if a Man dren, his brother die without Children, his fhall marry his wife, Brother should Marry his and raise up ed un
Wife, to continue his to his brother.
Name and Family, 25 Now there
25. Now there happen, were with us sevened to be Seven Brothers, brethren, and the firft when he had whereof the first Married married a Wife, de a Wife, and dying with no Iffue, left his wife out Children, left his unto his brother. Wife to the second. 26 Likewise the
26 & 27. In like mansecond also, and the third, unto the fe- ner the second Married her, venth.
and died without Chil, 27 And laft of all dren; and the third ; and the woman died also.
in short, they all seven Married her, and died without Children; and the
Woman died last. 28 Therefore in the 28. Now if there be a Resurrection, wife Than The "be of future State, as you teach, the seven for they and another Life after this; all had her,
whofe Wife of the seven muft this Woman then be,
for they all alike Maried 29 Jesus answered her ? and said unto them, Yedo err, not know
29. Jesus replied : Ye ing the scriptures, talk very Ignorantly, not nor the power of understanding the God.
true meaning of the Scriptures, nor having a right Sense of the Greatness of the Power of God.
30. For in that, future 30 For in the reState of Happiness
surrection they neito
ther marry, nor are which the Juft shall be given in marriage; raised; where there shall but are as the Angels
of God in Heaven, be no more Mortality, which Marriage was Instituted to fupply; there will be no more need of any such thing as Marriage : Neither shall that future State, be like the present Life of Men on Earth
; But it shall be Glorious and Spiritual, as is now the Life of Angels, in Heaven. 31 & 32. And that
31 But as touchthere shall be such a future ing the resurrection State and another Life af. not read that which
of the dead, have ye ter this, ye might have was spoken unto you collected even from God's by God, saying,
32 I am the God Stiling himself to Moses, of Abraham, and the the God of Abraham, Isaac, God of Ifaac, and
the and Jacob, long after the is not the God of the Death of these Patriarchs; dead, but of the (Exod. 3. 6.) For since'tis
living. plain these Holy Men did not receive the full reward of their piety in this World, God could not have called himself their God, but only because there is a Future State wherein
they shall be Rewarded, and * another Life after
this. 33 And when the multitude heard this, heard this they were great
33. When the people they were aftonilha ed 'at his do&trine. ly amaz’d at the readiness
and excellency of Jesus's Answers, with which he thus effe&tually silenced all his Adversaries.
34 (But when the
34. T. But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Pharisees heard that the Sadducees to filence, Sadducees were put to [ithey were gathered lence, they gather’d togetogether.
ther again to dispute with Jesus.
* The Word dasaris properly signifies a future Life in general, and so the strength of our Saviour's Argument is Clear and Evident. But tho we should understand the Word ftri&tly of the Resurrection of the Body, the Argument would yet be good : For since the Sadducees denied the Resurrection of the Body, not because they thought it impossible for the Body to be rais’d, but only because they thought the Soul perish'd at Death, and that there was no future State at all; our Saviour by proving in general the certainty of a Life to come, takes away the whole foundation of their Objection. Besides, the separate state of the Soul, is not a State of perfect happiness, but merely of expectation.
* See Mar.
35. And one of them, 35 Then one of
them, which was a being a Scribe or Inrer
lawyer, ask'd him a preter of the Law
9 Question, tempting + See May. and if observing that him and saying, i2.23. Jesus gave wife and pru
dent Answers; desired to
36. Master Which
36 Master, which part of the Law? The is the great com* Ceremonial or the Mo Law?
mandment in the ral ? 37. Jesus Answer'd: To
37 Jefus said un: Love God sincerely, entirely, love the Lord thy
to him, Thou thalt and constantly.
God with all thy 38. This is the first and heart, and with all greatest Commandment, thy mind.
thy Soul,and with all which ought above all 38 This is the first things to be Religiously and great commandobserv’d.
39. And the next is like to it in Excellence and Dig
39 And the second nity, namely to love your is like unto it, Thou Neighbour as your self, fhalt love thy neighand to do to all Men as you
bour as thy self.