« הקודםהמשך »
13. When they had done 121 And , being this, they prepared to re
warned of God in a
dream, that they turn again unto Herod ; but should not return to God, to prevent the cruel Herod, they departDesigns of the King, com- i ed into their own manded them in a Dream
way: not to go back to him, but to return Home to their own Country by another way.
13. The wife Men being 13 And when they thus sent Home, and Herod were departed, bedisappointed of his expected Lord appeareth to Information ; an Angel ap- Joseph in a dream, peared to Joseph in a Dream, saying, Arise , and to acquaint him with Herod's and his mother
take the youngchild, design of killing the Child, flee into Egypt, and and to command him to flee bé thou there until I with the Child and his Mo bring the word: for
Herod will seek the ther into Egypt, and to abide
young child to des there till he should have no. troy him. tice, given him when he might safely return
14. Joseph upon this war 14 When he àning, flees into Egypt by young child and his
rose, he took the Night, with Mary and the mother by night,and
departed into Egypt: 15. And there he continued till the death of Herod. until the death of
15 And 'was there Whereby were remarkably Herod: that it might accomplished those Words bé fulfilled which of the Prophet Hofea, which was spoken of the
Lord by the prounder the Type of the
phet, saying, Out of
exceeding wroth,and were gone Home, fell into
Egypt have. I called Children of Israel had their tny fon.
illis quio principal respect to Christ ; 59.19. Out of Egypt have I called my
Son, (Hof: 11: 1.) 16 4 Then He 16. In the mean time rod, when he saw Herod finding that the wise of the wise men, was Men had deceived him, and sent forth, and flew a great Rage ; and to make all the children that were in Bethlehem,
sure that the Child should and in all the coasts not escape him, he commanthereof, from two ded all the Children under years old and under; two Years old, that were in according to the time which he had Bethlehem and the neigh diligently enquired bouring Villages,to be lain; of the wife men.
having gathered from his
Conference with the wife ? Men, that Jefus could not
yet be arrived at that Age. 17 Then was ful 17. Then were accomfilled that which was plished those Words of the fpoken by Jeremy Prophet Jeremy's (Jer. 31. the prophet, saying,
15.) 18 In Rama was
18. In Ramah was there a there a vqice heard, voice heard, lamentation and lamentation Weeping, and great weeping, and great mourning; mourning, Rachel Rachel weeping for her Chilli węeping for her chil- dren, and would not be como dren, and would not forted, because they are not. be comforted, because they are not.
19. Not long after this, 19 ( But when Herod died : And then the Herod was dead, bea
hold, an angel of the Angel which had command Lord appeareth in a ed Joseph to flee into Egypt, dream to Joseph in appeared to him again in a Egypt Dream there.
20. And commanded him · 20 Saying, Arise, to return with the Child and take the young
child and his moa and his Mother into the ther, and go into Land of Ifrael ; for that the land of Israel : Herod, who had designed to for they are dead kill the Child, was now
which fought the
young childs life. dead himself.
Lab 21. Accordingly. Joseph and took the young
21. And he arose, in Obedience to the Divine child and his mother, Command, returned with and came into the the Child and his Mother land of Israel. into the Land of Israel.
3:7 22. Nevertheless, hear 22. But when he ing Archelaus succeeded his heard that ArcheFather Herod in the king dea, in the room of
laus did reign in Judom of Judea, and fearing his father Herod, he least this new Prince Chould was afraid to go thi imitate his Father's Cru- ther: notwithstand
ing, being warned of elty, he durft not venture God in a dream, he to dwell in Judea, but by turned aside into the the divine Direction retired" parts of Galilee ; into Galilee:
23 And he came 23. And there he dwelt and dwelt in a city in the City Nazareth. From it might be fulfilled whence Jesus was called a which was spoken by Nazarite : As the Prophets the prophets, He had foretold that he should fhall be called a Na- be, in several Senses of that
Word: And particularly, as it was prophesied in those words, Judg. 13. 5. which were spoken of Sampson as a Type of Chrift, He * sball be a Nazarite from the Womb.
* This place, though scarce taken notice of by Commentátors, seems to be more immediately respected by the Evangelift, than those where only the word 783 or 773 is used in different Senfes.
CH A P. III.
'Hus Jesus dwelt pri- 1 IN those days vately with his Pa
came John the rents, till the time drew the wilderness of Ju
Baptist, preaching in near that he was to begin dea; his publick Ministry: About which time, his Fore runner John the Baptist, began to preach in the Wilderness of Juděá.
2. And the Subject of 2 And saying, ReJohn's Preaching to the Peo- pent ye: for the ple, was, That they should kingdom of heaven
is at hand. repent and reform their Lives; because now the Kingdom of the Messias and the Christian Religion was about to be established ; wherein, all ceremonial Performances being to cease, nothing but true Repentance and sincere Obedience was required and would be accepted by God to eternal Life. 3. This John the Baptist
3 For this is the was that Fore-runner of that was spoken of Christ, of whom Esaias pro- by the prophet E
saias, saying, The phecied, that in like man
voice of one crying