« הקודםהמשך »
II. The Disciples asking CHRIST when these Things fbould come to pass, and what should be the Sign of bis Coming, and of the End of the World; be foretels the Wars, Pestilence, and Famine that Nould be in the World, and the great perfecutions that the Apostles and bis Subjects should undergo, both from Jews and Gentiles.
[Mr.) AND as he fat upon the Mount of Olives, over
against the Temple, [M.] the Disciples, [Mr.] Peter, and James, and John and Andrew [M.] came unto him, [Mr.) and asked him privately, [M.] saying, [L.] Master, [M.] tell us, when ihall these Things be? [Mr.) And what Thall be the Sign when all these Things (L.) shall come to pass, and [Mr.] shall be fulfilled ? [M.] And what shall be the SIGN of thy COMING, and of the End of the World ? (M.) And he said unto them, [L.] When ye shall hear of Wars and Commotions, [M.] and Rumours of Wars, see that ye be not troubled, (L.) be not terrified, [M.] for all [I.] these Things must first come to pass : [M.] but the End is not yet; (L.] by and by. Then said he unto them, NATION shall rise against
. NATION, and KINGDOM against KINGDOM, and great Earthquakes shall be in divers Places ; [M.] and there shall be Famines, and Pestilences, (Mr.] and Troubles, (L.) and fearful Sights, and great Signs shall there be from Heaven. [M.] All these are the BEGINNING of SORROW. But take heed to your felves : for (L.) before all these, they shall lay their Hands on you, and (a) PER
(a) Phil. i. 29. For unto you it SECUTE you, delivering you not only to BELIEVE on him, buc
is given in the Bchali ot Cint, up to [Mr.] COUNCILS, and also to suffer for his fake. (L.] to the SYNAGOGUES,
i Thel: 111. 3. That no Man (hold and into Prisons ; being for your felves know tħat we are
be moved by these AFFLICTIONS: brought before Kings and APPOINTED thereunto. Rulers for my Name's fake: 4. For verily when we were and [Mr.] ye shall be beat
with you, we told you before, that
we should suffer ÍRIBULATION: en, and ye shall be brought even as it came to pass, and ye before Rulers and Kings for know. my fake. (L.) And it shall 2 Tim. iii. 12. Yea, and all that turn to you for a TESTIMO- Nall suffer PERSECUTION.
will live godly in Chrif? Jefts, NY,
NY, and (Mr.) against them. Heb. x. 32. But call to remem[M] Then half they deli- after ye were illuminated, ye en
brance the former Days, in which ver you up to be Afflict- dured a great Fight of AfflicED, and shall kill you, and TIONS: ye hall be haired of all
33. Partly whillt ye were made a Nations for
gazing Stock, both by REPROACHmy Name's sake.
Is and AFFLICTIONS, and partly And then shall many be of- whilst ye became COMPANIONS of fended, and shall betray one
them that were so used. another, and shall hate one in my Bonds, and took joyfully
34. For ye had Compassion of me another. And many FALSE the spoiling of your Goods, knowProphets shall arise, and ing in your felves that ye have in shall DECEIVE many.
Heaven a better and an enduring
Substance. because INIQUITY shall a- 1 Pet. ii. 19. For this is thankbound, the Love of many worthy, if a Man for Conscience ta Thall wax cold. [Mr.] And
ward God, endure GRIEF, suffer.
ing WRONGFULLY. the Gospel muft first be pub- 20. For what Glory isit, if when Jished among all Nations. ye be buffered for your Faults, yo [M.] And this Gospel of
Mall take it patiently? But it when
ye do well, and suffer for it, ye the KINGDOM shall be take it patiently; this is acceptable preached in all the World, with God. for a Witness unto all Na- fer for Righteousness sake, happy
Chap. iii. 14. But and if ye suftions; and then shall the End are ye : and be not afraid of their come. [11r.] But when they Terror, neither be troubled ; shall lead you, and deliver
Is. But SANCTIFY the Lord
God in your Hearts: and be ready you up, take no Thought be always to give an answer to every forehand what ye shall speak, Man that asketh you a Reason of neither do ye premeditate :
the Hore that is in you, with Meck
ness and Fear. but whatsoever shall be given
16. Having a good Conscience ; you in that Hour, that speak that whereas they speak Evil of ye : for it is not ye that you, as of evil Doers, they may be speak, but the Holy Ghost. ashamed that FALSEY ACCUSE your
good Conversation in Christ. (L.] Settle it therefore in Chap. iv. 12. Beloved,'think it your Hearts, not to meditate not strange concerning the fiery hefore what ye
TRIAL which is to try you, as
though some strange Thing hapFor I will give you a Mouth pened unto you: and Wisdom, which all your 13. But rejoice, inasmuch as ye Adversaries shall not be able are Partakers of Christ's SUFFER:
INGS; that when his Glory shall to gainfay or refift. And ye be revealed, ye may be glad allo Shall be betrayed both by with exceeding Joy. Parents, and Brethren, and Name of Christ, happy are ye ; for
14. If ye be reproached for the Kinsfolk, and Friends, and the Spirit of Goly, and of fome of you Thall they cause God resteth upon you : on their to be put to Death. [fr.] part he is evil spoken of, but on Now the Brother Shall betray your part he is GLORIFIED.
the Nn 2
the Brother to death, and 16. Yet if any Man SUFFER as the Father the Son ; and
a CHRISTIAN, let him not be a
shamed ; but let him GLORIFY Children shall rise up against God on this behalf. their Parents, and shall cause them to be put to death. And ye shall be hated of all Men for my Name's fake. (L.) But there shall not an Hair of your Head perish. In your PATIENCE possess ye your Souls: (11.) But he that shall ENDURE to the End, the same shall be SAVED.
Matt. x. 17. But beware of.Men, for they will deliver you up to the Councils, and they will scourge you in their SYNAGOGU ES.
18. And ye shall be brought before Governours and Kings for my fake, for a TESTIMONY against them and the Gentiles.
19. But when they deliver you up, take no Thought how, or what ye shall speak; for it shall be given you in that same Hour what ye shall speak.
20. For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father, which speaketh in you.
22. And ye shall be hated of all Men for my Name's fake : but he that ENDURETH to the End, shall be saved.
23. But when they perfecute you in this City, flee into another : for verily I say unto you, ye shall not have gone over the Cities of Israel, till the Son of Man be come.
Chap. xxiii. 34. Wherefore behold I send unto you PROPHETS, and WISE Men, and Scribes ; and fome of them ye shall kill and CRUCIFY, and some of them shall ye SCOURGE in your Synagogues, and PERSECUTE them from City to City
Fohi xv. 18. If the World HATE you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
19. If ye were of the World, the World would love his own : but because ye are not of the World, but I have CHOSEN you out of the World, therefore the World hateth you.
20. Remember the Word that I said unto you, The Servant is not greater than the Lord. If they have persecured me, they will also persecute you : If they have kept my Saying, they will keep yours also.
21. But all these Things will they do unto you for my Name's fake, because they know not him that sent me.
John xvi. 1. These Things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended.
2. They 2. They shall put you out of the Synagogues: yea, the Time cometh, that whosoever KILLETH you, will think that he doth God service.
3. And these Things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me.
20. Verily, verily I say unto you, that ye shall weep and LAMENT, but the World shall REJOICE : and ye shall be SORROWFUL, but your SORROW shall be turned into Joy.
22. And ye now therefore have SORROW : but I will see you again, and your Heart shall Rejoice, and your Joy no Man taketh from you.
33. These Things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have Peace. In the WORLD ye shall have TRIBULATION : but be of good cheer, I have overcome the World.
See in the Acts of the Apostles, the Martyrdom of
St. Stephen, the Imprisonment of Peter and John, the Perfecutions of St. Paul.
III. CHRIST foretels the Rise of falfe Chrifts and
false Prophets, and the great Apoftacy that should be in the Church.
ND Fesus said unto them, Take heed that no
Man DECEIVE you. For many shall come in my Name, saying, I am CHRIST, ([L.] and the Time draweth near) and shall deceive many; (L.) go ye not therefore after them. [Mr.] And then if any Man hall say unto you, Lo, here is CHRIST, or lo, he is there : believe him not. For FALSE CHRISTS and (a) false (a) 1 Cor. xi. 18. For first of all, PROPHETS shall rise, [M.] Church, I hear that there be Dj
when ye come together in the and shall shew great SIGNS Visions among you; and I partly and WONDERS, (Mr.] to fe. believe it. duce, [M.] (that if it were
19. For there must be also He
RESIES among you, that they possible) they shall deceive which are approved, may be made the very Elect. [Mr.) But manifest among you. take Je heed ; behold, I have ye
2 Cor. ii. 17. For we are not as foremany which corrupt the Word of
foretold you all Things. [M.] God: but as of Sincerity, but as of Wherefore if they shall fay God, in the Sight of God (peak we unto you, Behold, he is in
Chap. xi. 13. For such are FALSE the Desert, go not forth : Apostles, deceitful Workers, behold, he is in the secret transforming themselves into the
Apostles of Christ. Chambers ; believe it not.
Gal. ii. 4. And that because of For as the Lightning cometh False Brethren unawares brought out of the East, and shineth in, who came in privily to spy out even unto the West, so shall Foru, that they might bring us in
our Liberty which we have in Chrift also the Coming of the Son to Rondage. of Man be., For wherefoe- Ephef. iv. 14. That we hencever the Carcase is, there will to and fro, and carried about with
forth be no more Children, tossed the Eagles be gathered toge- every Wind of Do&rine, by the ther.
SLIGHT of Men, and CUNNING
wait to deceive. 1 Tim. vi. 3. If any Man teach otherwise, and consent not to whole. some Words, even the Words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the Doctrine which is according to GODLINESS;
4. He is PROUD, knowing nothing, bút doting about Questions and Strites of Words, whereof cometh Envy, Strife, Railings, evil Surmilings,
S. Perverse Disputings of Men of corrupt Minds, and destitute of the Truch, supposing that Ğain is GODLINESS : from such withdraw thy felf.
2 Tim. ii. 14. Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord, that they strive not about Words to NO PROFIT, but to the subverting of the Hearers.
16. Shun profane and vain Babblings ; for they will increase unto more UNGODLINESS.
Chap. iii. 1. This know also, that in the last Days perilous Times shall come.
2. For Men shall be Lovers of their own selves, Covetous, Boasters, Proud, Blasphemers, Disobedient to Parents, Unthankful, Unholy,
3. Without natural Affection, Truce-breakers, false Accusers, incontinent, fierce, Despisers of those that are good,
4. Traiterous, heady, high-minded, Lovers of PLEASURE more than Lovers of God;
5. Having a form of GODLINESS, but denying the Power thereof: from such turn away.
13. But Evil. Men and SEDUCERS shall wax worse and worse; deceiving, and being deccived.
Jude 17. But beloved, remember ye the Words which werc spoken before of the APOSTLES of our Lord Jefu Chrift:
18. How that they told you, there should be 'MOCKERS in the last Time, who should walk after their own UNGODLY LUSTS.
See pag. 87. Of false Prophets and false Teachers, against Matt. vii. 15.