« הקודםהמשך »
no more openly enter into the city, but was without in desert places: and great multitudes came together to hear, and to be healed by him of their infirmities..
30. Jesus heals a paralytic. · And again he entered into Caper- Place. » naum. Ănd it came to pass on a Capernaum. certain day, as he was teaching, that there were Pharisees and doctors of the law sitting by, which were come out of every town of Galilee, and Judea, and Jerusalem: and straightway many were gathered together, insomuch that there was no room to receive them, no, not so much as about the door, and the power of the Lord was present to heal them. And, behold, men brought in a bed a man which was taken with a palsy: and they sought means to bring him in, and to lay him before him. And when they could not find by what way they might bring him in because of the multitude, they went upon the housetop, and let him down through the tiling with his couch into the midst before Jesus. And when he saw their faith, he said unto him, “ Man, thy sins are forgiven " thee.” And the Scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? who can forgive sins, but God alone? But when Jesus perceived
2 The roofs were flat. Two flights of steps led thereto, the one from without, the other from within. The paralytic was carried up the former, and let down through an opening in the roof.
their thoughts, he answering said unto them, 66 What reason ye in your hearts? whether is “ easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or “ to say, Rise up and walk ? But that ye may “ know that the Son of man hath power upon “ earth to forgive sins," - (he said unto the sick of the palsy) - I say unto thee, Arise, and take “ up thy couch, and go unto thine house." And immediately he rose up before them, and took up that whereon he lay, and departed to his own house, glorifying God. And they were all amazed, and they glorified God, and were filled with fear, saying, We have seen strange things to-day.
31. Matthew is called. And he went forth again by the
Place. sea side; and all, the multi
Sea of sorted unto him, and he taught Galilee. them. .
And as he passed by, he saw Levia the son of Alpheus sitting at the receipt of custom, and said unto him, “ Follow me.” And Place he left all, rose up, and followed Capernaum.
• As a proof of my power to forgive sins, I work a miracle.
0 St. Matthew.
THE TRANSACTIONS OF TWELVE MONTHS, .. FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE SECOND PASSOVER.
32. The healing of an infirm man at Bethesda, in
Time. AFTER this there was a Place. A. D. 31. feast of the Jews; and Jesus Second
SC Of the Jews; and Jesus Jerusalem. Passover. went up to Jerusalem. Now there is
at Jerusalem by the sheep market a pool,which is called in the Hebrew tongue Bethesda, having five porches. In these lay a great multitude of impotent folk, of blind, halt, withered, waiting for the movement of the water. For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had. And a certain man was there, which had an infirmity thirty and eight years. When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, " Wilt thou be made whole?" The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no
a Or bath.
.Or house of mercy. Five separate divisions for the sick.
man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me. Jesus saith unto him, 66 Rise, take up thy bed, and walk.” And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked : and on the same day was the sabbath. . - The Jews therefore said unto him that was cured, It is the sabbath day: it is not lawful for thee to carry thy bed. He answered them, He that made me whole, the same said unto me, Take up thy bed, and walk. Then asked they him, What man is that which said unto thee, Take up thy bed and walk ? And he that was healed wist not who he was: for Jesus had conveyed himself away, a multitude being in that place. Afterwards Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, “ Behold, thou “ art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse “ thing come to thee.” The man departed, and told the Jews that it was Jesus, which had made him whole. And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day..
But Jesus answered them, “ My Father 66 worketh hitherto, and I work." Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.
ity which math day, day, as well as at
a The same authority which made me whole, hath made it lawful to carry my bed on the sabbath day.
• It is lawful to do good on the sabbath day, as well as at other times, after the example of God, who never ceases by his providence to do good to his creatures.
Then answered Jesus and said unto them, “ Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can “ do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the 6 Father do: for what things soever he doeth, 6 these also doeth the Son likewise. For the “ Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all “ things that himself doeth: and he will shew “ him greater works than these, that ye may “ marvel. For as the Father raiseth up the “ dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son “ quickeneth whom he will. For the Father , * judgeth no man, but hath committed all “ judgment unto the Son: that all men should “ honour the Son, even as they honour the Fa6 ther. He that honoureth not the Son hoo noureth not the Father which hath sent him. “ Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that “ heareth my word, and believeth on him that 6 sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not “ come into condemnation; but is passed from
death unto life. Verily, verily, I say unto “ you, The hour is coming, and now is, when 6 the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of 66 God: and they that hear shall live. For as " the Father hath life in himself; so hath he “ given to the Son to have life in himself; and “ hath given him authority to execute judg" ment also, because he is the Son of man. “ Marvel not at this : for the hour is coming, in 6 the which all that are in the graves shall hear 6 his voice, and shall come forth; they that * have done good, unto the resurrection of life; “ and they that have done evil, unto the resur
12 Our blessed Lord in his life time raised several from the